The Hunting Horn

Mrs. Moffat’s Lovin’ Lit Class

Erica Delos Santos

Nikole Yeganova, Staff Writer

Having been in a number of fun and challenging classes throughout my life, it was difficult to really decide which class would be my favorite. However, I would say that overall I have enjoyed the topic of reading the most. Reading overall is a good habit and helps one become smarter and confident in their writing. As I recall Mrs. Moffat, the teacher saying, “ Reading does make you smarter,” I’ve grown to love reading. Although in general math is and always will be my favorite, preferred subject, my personal choice of favorite class would be the Lovin’ Lit or reading class due to the friendly teacher and environment.

One reason I enjoyed being in the class was because of my teacher. She genuinely cared about each and every student and her passion for reading and writing encouraged others to read carefully through text and paint a picture in your head.  She only wanted the best from us and overall is friendly and wants us to be successful.

Another reason I enjoyed the class was because it definitely helped me with English. Reading can help with grammar and it sometimes identifies interesting figurative language. Another key point that was mentioned before is that the more you read the smarter you will be. Writing involves reading, they are like cousins. All books, except a few, should have correct grammar and spelling.  After you read your book, you will remember what complete sentences are and additionally how to write one properly.  Reading could also somewhat inspire you. For example, reading biographies can inspire you to go out in the world and do things that you believe you can do.

The Lovin’ Lit class combined all of these skills in an amusing and pleasurable way. First, the students chose and voted on a book to read for the quarter of the school year. The top vote happened to be Cirque Du Freak, by Darren Shan a common novel chosen throughout her teaching career. This book is about teenager Darren Shan who meets a mysterious man at a freak show who turns out to be a vampire. After a series of events Darren must leave his normal life and go on the road with the Cirque du Freak and become a vampire.

Then, as a class we read the book together and stopped to discuss the characters, what they did, why they did it, and how did they do it. In between chapters, we did projects and contests based on the text. The contests were to test who in the class was good at interpreting the story. My favorite contest was the drawing contest, which did not consist of how good we drew, but how the description in the book matched the picture. The contest was on the Cirque Du Freak flyer that was presented in the story.

Students would draw the flyer based on what was presented in the text. For example, if it said there was a snake in the upper right corner, then the student would draw a snake in the upper right corner. The winner who had the most accurate flyer got a candy bar.

Overall, this class was enjoyable, entertaining, amusing, and interesting. Other students in Mrs. Moffat’s class that year also found the class favored. Mayzee Hsu (8) recalled “Mrs. Moffat is a nice teacher and she gives jolly ranchers to her students. The class itself is quiet, not distracting, and still fun.”