The Hunting Horn

Mr. Caire’s Journalism and Media Arts Class

Mayzee Hsu, Opinion Editor

Being in 8th grade, I’ve been through many different teachers and different teaching methods through the same classes each year. Some were strict, some were fun, some were boring, and some were down-to-earth. Either way, they all contributed a great part in my education, both good and bad. Not many teachers were my favorite, and some even ruined some of my favorite subjects. I would like to thank every single teacher I had/have, for the experience and ingraining knowledge in my non-existent brain. Of course, everyone would eventually ask “Who’s your favorite teacher?” “What’s your favorite class?” to see if you’re worthy enough to complain or boast about that certain class/teacher for hours on end. My preferred answers to those questions consist of “I don’t have a favorite,” or “I don’t know.” If someone forced me to choose a favorite class, then I’d say it is journalism/media arts.

Having experience with media and journalism before, I decided it would be a great idea to join journalism/media arts to improve my skills. This elective sounded more free than Spanish, art, coding, and computer music due to having the advantage of being able to write my own opinion freely about anything, and being exposed to electronics on a daily basis. When I entered the class, it immediately went from 1 to 100. After Mr. Caire instructed us on what to do, everyone began working on their own projects, articles, videos, etc. Blasting music, playing MovieStarPlanet, scrolling through Instagram—if you aren’t used to this environment you’d be overwhelmed just stepping in. Despite all of this, we do get our work done by the assigned deadlines and learn to be responsible of our own time management. This is a skill that will serve us right in the future. Overtime, we all get along in a weird way when collaborating on articles. Everyone has a different role, like for example, I’m the opinion editor and Nikole Yeganova (7) is a staff writer. These roles set a hierarchy in the class, and may cause some tension when we compete for the role of editor-in-chief. Mr. Caire is picking only 4 people from all in the class to stay for another semester to be editors-in-chief, and it’s an intense one-man-standing competition, regardless of us goofing off.

There’s a lot of freedom people don’t usually get in other classes that they can get in journalism/media arts. When people think about freedom, they think about being able to do whatever they want. This partially applies to this class, but the definition of freedom is completely different here. Having the almighty power to be exposed to the bad and the good in the world, we get to see both sides of the coin. Understanding the different perspectives in life, in my opinion, is the best freedom one could have. Being in journalism/media arts gives me that freedom, and to spread news about each different story is a big deal, especially in a “uninformed” school environment.

I enjoy everyone’s noisy company in journalism/media arts, and Mr. Caire is really nice and gives us a lot of freedom to be actively involved in our own learning. Journalism/media arts is only something everyone would know if they joined, and it’s a new experience everyday. The pen is mightier than the sword, and journalism/media arts has taught me that.