The Hunting Horn

Mr. Miller’s English 7 Class

Mr. José Caire

Mr. José Caire

Sean Chan, Staff Writer

These years at Huntington have been memorable and unforgettable. Out of all these classes, I enjoyed my 7th grade year Honors English 7 class the most.

My teacher for this class was Mr. Miller, who is full of boldly confidence. Throughout my year, I had many ups and downs. One of the ups to this class was that the best project you get to do in class: FedEx Friday. During 2nd Quarter, students work on a topic that they enjoy. This is free choice. However, it has to be workable on school-campus; most should be done at school and not at home (unless needed). “Fed-Ex Friday was a great way to learn; you could choose any topic you want; by letting you study whatever you like,” Daniel Dosti (8) said. From music/dance compositions to hands – on activities (arts & crafts) to online items, the ideas are endless of what was chosen by many students. Another exciting assignment was to write a poem and compete in the class’ Poetry Slam. The poetry slam can be about any topic, but you will go against others with “tricks up their sleeves.” The competition starts with the class; one by one are dethroned from this game; now the Final 2 remain against each other. However, the actual grade is reflected upon your presentation and several other factors; not related to how far you make it in this competition. “I got to the finals, but Idris beat me, so it wasn’t fun. It’s a free-choice and a good way to communicate with others,” Tyler Lin (8) said. Topics can include all about yourself, your summer vacation, a normal day, or your feelings towards someone else. As of these fun assignments/projects, the horror for all students are many of the Socratic Seminars, Picture Decoding, and those “hard” finals. When having a Socratic Seminar, most people are quiet or some can’t really answer or some are shy to speak in public. The Picture Decoding relates to when we view an image and try to understand what the image represents/views. Our grade for this is based off the observations and notes taken.

Mr. Miller is a good and normal teacher, but very “spot-on.” “I find every year memorable, but periods, like yours were very interesting,” Mr. Miller said. He rides his bike everyday to school, rain or shine, because he wants to contribute to “saving our world from global warming!” He teaches five periods throughout the day and his classes are: Speech and Debate, English (7), and Honors English (7). “English can be fun but it is sometimes hard. Although, it is a good subject,” Cameron Richardson (8) said.