The Hunting Horn

Huntington’s College and Career Week

Brandon Wu & Ethan Yeh, Staff Writers

From February 12-14 Foxes will have the opportunity to participate in the annual event of college and career week. In its summarized form, college and career week is a school week dedicated to students learning about many opportunities for future colleges and careers. Students get to listen to various talks from many different trained professionals to get a general view on what the profession does and help decide on what they would like to do in the future. Another activity students get to participate in, is viewing many different colleges through virtual roadtrips (a different virtual tour will be available this year). Which helps students get a good understanding of the aspects of diverse colleges and to help them get a good idea of what to expect, if they go to that college.

To get a better understanding of what college and career week is, we interviewed Ms. Gonzales, the Huntington Middle School Counselor, to get a better idea of what career day is. We asked her these questions: what is career week, what is its purpose, when did it start, what are its benefits, and how does it work. “College and career week is a week for students to explore what they are interested in and how that can tie into a future job. College and career week’s purpose is just not help students find a career but also learn about the education needed to do that job. So, college and the courses needed to fulfill the job is also talked about during the week,” Mrs. Gonzales said. She does not specifically know when college and career week started, but it has been at HMS since she was employed at the school. College and career week has been changed by Ms. Gonzales many times over the twelve years she has been here, for example, the week used to be just called career week, but was changed by Ms. Gonzales to college and career week instead.

The benefits of career week are that students get to find out what they’re passionate about and talk to many different community members and volunteers. Students get to hear about what the job actually is and how that person got to where they are today, which helps students see “what it takes” to be in that career. Students get to do different activities in homeroom which include filling out interest surveys which help students find what their interests are. After getting the results of the surveys, students can do activities that help students learn more about jobs and colleges, for example there will be a virtual tour of differing jobs, this year.

To make college and career week a success, Ms. Gonzales works with the PTA who elects an event chair who works closely with Ms. Gonzales, the chair helps Ms. Gonzales recruit career day “speakers” to come out and speak with students, there is also college speakers who talk to students as well. To get these speakers to come Ms. Gonzales contacts local colleges and universities and see if they would like to come and share information of their college to the students. “Career day speakers have a schedule for the day so all the classes get the same coverage, thus career day takes a lot of careful planning. Students go to class like normal but get an opportunity to see a speaker in each class bringing the total of speakers students get to see in a day to six,” Mrs. Gonzales said. There is also a hospitality room set up for the speakers in the library, where they can network, talk to teachers and to other speakers.

There is a lot of preparation and work that is needed to put together Career Day, yet it gives students many benefits for their future planning.