The Hunting Horn

Wake Up Late and Celebrate HMS Turning 100!

Erica Delos Santos, Ethan Yeh, Jinku Tang, and Natalie Chuang, News Editor and Staff Writers

100 years ago, in 1918, Henry E. Huntington Middle School was established; to commemorate the milestone, the school is holding a centennial breakfast. The breakfast will occur from 8:00 to 9:45 A.M on 2/28, and as a result, current students will be having a late start, meaning that they will come to school at 10:00 A.M, instead of the normal 8:00 A.M.  Attendees of the breakfast will include past principals, past PTA presidents, past and current teachers and staff, district dignitaries, school board, city council members, Barth Athletic Complex donors, Centennial Committee, PTA Executive Board, and special alumni from past graduating classes. “I’m honored to be lucky enough to be the principal of this amazing school on its Centennial! It’s wonderful to be a part of this brilliant school and community,” Mr. Jason Kurtenbach, HMS Principal, said.

During the breakfast, one of Huntington’s top award winning choirs, Bel Canto, will be singing the alma mater, “Dear Old Huntington,” which was specially arranged for the breakfast by Alex Su and Mr. Derek Jamieson. Students are also allowed to volunteer to serve breakfast by asking our PTA president, Mrs. Laurie Modean.

In addition to Bel Canto’s performance, HMS chamber orchestra and wind ensemble will be performing.

Henry E. Huntington Middle School, formerly called Cooper Ranch, was later named after the first citizen of San Marino, Henry Huntington. HMS is located on which was once five acres of Cooper Ranch and the school itself took $39,258 to build. It first opened on February in 1918, and only had four classrooms, one auditorium, and rooms dedicated to sewing and manual arts. Only a group of forty-one students were present at the new school. Today, we have 784 students, and are rated number one in public schools, located in California. It is great that HMS is hosting a Centennial Breakfast, to celebrate our legacy of excellence.