The Hunting Horn

Boys and Girls Soccer

Brendan Gill, Daniel Dosti, Nanami Matzumoto, & Eva Jin, Sports Editor & Staff Writers

The boys soccer team tryouts this year, for the 2018 season, were very rigorous. The team did many drills to test their endurance, and only the most resilient of the players made the squad. One student who tried out for the team, and made it onto the team was Lucas Levy (8) who described the tryouts as “pretty difficult.” This will be his fifth season playing soccer. Another player, Michael Azinge (8), who made it onto the team described tryouts as “rigorous, but kind of fun at the same time.” This year, 19 players made the team. The lineup for the boys soccer team includes Moses Wong (8), Michael Yuratich (8), Azinge, Miles Caldwell(8) , Sebastian Camacho (7), Matthew Chen (8), Colin Eriksen (7), Ethan Foong (8), Benjamin Hughes (7), Levy, Collyn Li (8), Alexander Lord (8), Christian Madrigal (7), Matthew Ossen (8), Ryan Qu (8), Thomas Raymond (7), Joaquin Salgado (7), Xavier Smith (7), and Theodore Tan (8). The team started off their season at home against La Canada. The game took place on Tuesday, January 30th. The boys fought hard, but sadly could not take the W, resulting in a score of 0-6. The team went into their next game hoping for a win, and this time it was at Oak Avenue. Once again, the HMS team could not win against the opposing team, losing the game 1-8. The boys went into their next game against Jefferson hungry for a win, and finally got it, winning the game 1-0. This was the team’s first win of the season. Their next, and final game of the regular season was on February 20th vs South Pasadena. This was a big game, because South Pasadena and San Marino are rivals. The South Pasadena team won the game 7-0, crushing the HMS team. The boys now go onto the playoffs where they hope to take home the championship.

On the other hand, the girls team has proven to be extremely dedicated and vivacious the past four games. The last of which, finishing the regular game in a draw, 2-2 against La Canada, ended in a loss during a penalty-kick (PK) overtime shootout 0-3. The next game they had was against Oak Avenue, and the game ended in a score of 1-3 with Oak Avenue winning. The team faced the school’s long time rivals, South Pasadena. The game was fought hard on both sides of the field, and this time the hard work paid off for HMS, resulting in a win of 6-3. The girls next faced Jefferson Middle School, but were sadly edged out by the Jefferson Bulldogs 0-2. The team consists of, Samantha Armendariz (8), Katy Bell (8), Margaux Berger (7), Madison Don (8), Alyson Garcia (7), Janelle Heimerl (7), Maddie Kaufman (8), Tessa Mavridis (7), Macy Mooney (8), Taline Nesnas (7), Jordane Oghigian (7), Kylie Oh (8), Rachel Rudio (8), Charlotte Zhang (8), and Crystal Zhang (7). The girls practice every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Some of the girls, such as Macy Mooney, have been playing soccer for quite some time. “I want to continue to play soccer for as long as I can,” Mooney said. The girls are now headed to the playoffs.

1 Comment

One Response to “Boys and Girls Soccer”

1. Moses Wong on April 5th, 2018 7:14 pm

I MADE THE TEAM

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Sports

Track Season Preview

• Sports

Super Bowl 2018 Eagles vs. Patriots

• Boys and Girls Soccer

Features

Los Angeles Rams — 16-17 & 17-18 Season

• Sports

2017 Football Season Recap

• Boys and Girls Soccer

Sports

Girls Varsity Volleyball: A Season’s Review

• Boys and Girls Soccer

Sports

Championship Varsity Football Game-Battle of Year!

• Boys and Girls Soccer

Sports

Foxes vs. La Canada — Varsity Football Game

• Boys and Girls Soccer

Sports

17-18 Football Tryouts — Teams Selected.

• Boys and Girls Soccer

Features

Starbucks Coffee Review

• Boys and Girls Soccer

Features

McDonald’s Restaurant Review

The student news site of Huntington Middle School
Boys and Girls Soccer