The Hunting Horn

Track Season Preview

Preston Cotilier

Brendan Gill and Daniel Dosti, Sports Editor & Staff Writer

The track season here at HMS started Monday February 26th. All grade levels are eligible to participate in track. There are two levels to track, Varsity and Junior Varsity (JV). Everyone makes it onto either the Varsity or JV teams. The Varsity and JV teams still have to be decided by the coaches. Not everyone that does track is selected for every track meet. The coaches of the different events choose the fastest runners for the meets for the best outcomes. Kids have been running hard and sweating a lot over the past few weeks preparing for the track meets. One runner, Niko Mavridis (8) described the practices as “rigorous and tiring, but it will all hopefully pay off when it comes to being faster.” Another student doing track is Ryan Zhang (8) who called track “fun, but hard at the same time.”

There are 3 main categories in track, long distance which is coached by Coach Pam, which consists of the mile and the 800 meter. There is also the sprint category which is coached primarily by Coach Dika, and consists of the 100, 200, 400, 4×200 and 4×400 meter sprints. The last category is jumps which is coached by Coach Brandon, which consists of the high jump, long jump and triple jump. All of the events are supervised by Head Coach JP. The track team will have track meets possibly here at HMS, but also at other locations that are TBD.