Rise Against Hunger School-wide Meal Packing Event

Back to Article
Back to Article

Margaret Li, Copy Editor

SPLASH! A cup of pearly white rice sloshed into the butter colored funnel. The Cafeteria of Huntington Middle School was filled with the noise of gleeful shouts and tinkling laughter. Although this time, the students were not eating, they were working for children who cannot afford the luxury of food living far away from us.

Everyday, about 13 million children living in the United States are living below the poverty line. While we sit in warm, carpeted classrooms to study and play, kids our age are scrambling to get their skimpy dinners on table- if they happen to have dinner, or a table. Because of this depressing fact, Huntington’s Rotary Interact and Chinese Club of San Marino organized and funded the Rise Against Hunger activity. On Tuesday, April 24th, 2018, students of all grades spent their history classes period packing meals for children who don’t have the nutrition and meals they deserve. Students were divided into three stations of groups of 4-6: The funnels were in charge of packing rice, soy, dried vegetables, and vitamins into plastic bags, which were then taken to the sealers. Sealers made sure all the bags weigh from 388-394 grams, and that they were securely sealed. Lastly, the packaging groups check all bags are sealed and filled properly and organize the bags neatly into boxes to be send away to children in need.

Even though working constantly for an hour was draining, every student worked with fervor and dedication. Conversations were highlighted with laughter, and no one complained. Students of all grades worked like a well-oiled machine, sending hope through each well-packaged meal that would sustain a child for a week. To keep the Foxes motivated, a gong was sounded every time 1,000 meals were packed, setting milestones and goals for each student to keep them motivated. All students cheered and roared, thoroughly proud to contribute to ending world hunger.