The Hunting Horn

Former First Lady Barbara Bush Passes at 92

Courtesy of IJR.com

Courtesy of IJR.com

Natalie Chuang, Staff Writer

Barbara Bush, the wife of the 41st president and mother of 43rd president, dies at age 92. On Tuesday evening it was announced that the well admired First Lady sadly passed away at her home in Houston, Texas.

Barbara Bush and her husband, George H.W. Bush met at their high school dance in 1941. Mrs. Bush used to always say, “I married the first man I ever kissed. When I tell this to my children, they just about throw up.” The two married just 4 years laters in Rye, New York  in 1945. The couple recently celebrated their 73rd wedding anniversary in January, making them the longest married first couple.

In 1989 George H.W Bush was elected as the 41st President of the United States. She was 63 years old when her husband was elected, making her the second oldest First Lady in history. Mrs. Bush became a major political figure along her husband. She promoted women’s rights and her strong personal views. She also was not nervous talking about the possibility of a future female president. Mrs. Bush was not just an involved First Lady but a devoted wife and mother of six. Her dedication to keeping order at home earned her the nickname “the enforcer.”

During her husband’s term in office, she wrote an autobiography and children’s books. Many were about their dog Millie, and her puppies.

In 2001, when her son George W. Bush took office, Mrs. Bush became the only woman in America to see her husband and son elected president. She was very involved in her son’s campaign and defended him from the critics after the election.

In 2016, the former First Lady said in one of her last interviews she was “sick” of Trump. Adding that she doesn’t “understand why people are for him.” Trump repeatedly ridiculed her son about his inauguration. Mrs. Bush responded with this, “Our young people need positive role models. Bullying and prejudice in our public life set a national tone, provides permission for cruelty and bigotry and compromises the moral education of children.”

Mrs. Bush fought health problems for much of her later life. She was diagnosed in 1988 with an autoimmune disease. She underwent surgery for a perforated ulcer in 2008 and in 2009 had an open heart surgery.

In her final years, she was diagnosed with congestive heart failure but still kept an active schedule, raising money for charities.

On Sunday, George H.W. Bush announced his wife has decided to discontinue taking treatments for congestive heart failure.

“Barbara Bush was a fabulous first lady and a woman unlike any other who brought levity, love, and literacy to millions. To us, she was so much more. Mom kept us on our toes and kept us laughing until the end. I’m a lucky man that Barbara Bush was my mother. Our family will miss her dearly, and we thank you all for your prayers and good wishes.” her son and former US President, George W. Bush said. With her iconic gray hair, and devotion to her husband of more than 70 years, she became one of the most influential political female leader of modern times.