The Hunting Horn

Barbara Bush’s Passing

Jinku Tang, Staff Writer

“Some people give time, some money, some their skills and connections, some literally give their life’s blood. But everyone has something to give,” Barbara Bush said. The wife of the 41st president and the mother of the 43rd was born on June 8, 1925, in New York. She Was also a relative of Franklin Pierce, the 14th president of the United States. She is the second woman in American history to have had a husband and a son elected president, Abigail Adams was the first. Her parents are Marvin Pierce and Pauline Robinson. She had three siblings: Scoot Pierce, James Pierce, and Martha Pierce Rafferty. She attended Smith College in 1943-1944. In 1941, she meets George H.W. Bush at a dance at the Round Hill Country Club in Greenwich, Connecticut. On January 6, 1945, the couple married at the First Presbyterian Church in Rye, New York. He was 20 and she was 19. George H.W. Bush became vice president in 1981 and was the 41st President of the United States in 1989. She had previously served as Second Lady of the United States from 1981 to 1989. Her 6 children are George Walker Bush, Robin Bush (died of leukemia), Jeb Bush, Neil Mallon Bush, Marvin Pierce Bush, and Dorothy Bush Koch. In 1953, George H.W. and Barbara Bush lost Robin at 3 years old due to leukemia. They set out to inspire others to share in their quest for more effective cancer therapies. Soon, George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush became life members of the University Cancer Foundation Board of Visitors for the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center at the University of Texas. In 1989, Barbara Bush founded the Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy, motivated by her son Neil’s dyslexia and by her belief that many other social problems were connected to illiteracy. The Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy is a non-profit organization that seeks to improve literacy in the United States for families. In that was the same year that she made public that she had been diagnosed in 1988 with Graves’ disease. In 2010, she was hospitalized for what doctors at the time described as a recurrence of Graves’ disease. She received heart surgery in 2009 after doctors found hardening in one part of her aorta. In 2008, she was hospitalized and received surgery for a perforated ulcer. Barbara Bush has a net worth of $25 million. Mrs. Bush constantly had battles with congestive heart failure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, but on April 15, 2018, her husband’s office issued a statement that said she would no longer continue medical treatment. On April 17, 2018, it was confirmed that Mrs. Bush had died that evening, at age 92. Her husband, George H.W. Bush, is still alive but under intensive care. Sadly, our new president, Donald Trump, did not attend Saturday’s funeral service for former first lady Barbara Bush because he desired to “avoid disruptions” and his claims of it being out of respect for her family and friends.

Jinku Tang, Staff

Second Semester Staff