The Hunting Horn

School Should Not Start Later

Back to Article
Back to Article

School Should Not Start Later

Courtesy of Buzzle.com

Courtesy of Buzzle.com

Courtesy of Buzzle.com

Dakota Hedgepeth, Guest Writer

Students from all over the U.S. seem to all agree and argue on that school should start later on in the day. They agree that the start time should be at 10:00 AM and not the usual start of 8:00 AM anymore. However this could be a bad decision and worse case scenario for parents, a limit to transportation for students, and a shift in schedules for extra curricular activities.

The change of time can affect parents schedules, the most common time Americans get to work is from around 7-9 AM. If school districts change their start times to 10:00 AM or later, parents will not be able to drive their kids to school and get to work on time. Which can be a huge problem for young students who need supervision at all times, before and after attending school, especially at a young age. As for teens, later school start times may lead to an increase of responsibility, as parents may have to go to work before school starts. Which means teens will have to get up, make breakfast on their own, and get to school by themselves as well.

Another great concern about changing the times to start school is transportation. Mostly the parents are the ones taking their students to school while some other students ride their bikes or take the bus. This could be a problem if the time is changed, when parents go to work their child would have to go on their own to school with no supervision. Which is fine for teens because they are older and can be responsible for themselves. Although, for young students in Elementary, they still need help to get to school. They may not ride the bus alone to school or may not know how to ride a bike, or when their parent is working and has to leave early, there is no one to watch them and take them to school after a certain time. As for extra curricular activities, if school starts later in the day then so will extra curricular activities for kids to participate in them. This will be difficult for students to participate in, especially with homework, needing time to study, and get some time to sleep. “ I think that school shouldn’t end later because then students would have less time to do homework and extracurricular activities,“ Kailie Aberin (8) said.