LAUSD Teachers on Strike

Back to Article
Back to Article

LAUSD Teachers on Strike

Adam Lopez, Staff Writer

Thousands of teachers walked out of their jobs. On Monday, January 13, more than 32,000 teachers went on strike for multiple reasons. Teachers want more pay and more nurses and counselors on campuses. “It’s absolutely not only the pay raise, it’s about class size reduction…,” Andrea Cohen, a teacher at john Marshall high school, said. Teachers want more staff members and less kids in their classes. “We have 46, 45, 50 students in a class,” Cohen said. Class size reduction has been a big selling point on this strike. This limits the abilities of teachers. “When you’re doing labs, that’s 40 kids doing labs in a class without a sink. Imagine doing that five or six times a day. A lot of science teachers don’t really do hands-on stuff because there are too many kids,” Julie Van Winkle, a math and science teacher at Logan Span school in Los Angeles, said. Teachers have marched from LA city hall to LA unified headquarters to try and get these changes to their contract. Teachers and the LAUSD are debating on how they can afford this. About 400 substitutes and 2,000 other staff members have been assigned to teach kids since the teachers first left.

Only about 150,000 students out of the 500,000 have attended class on the first day of the strike. Because each student that attends class gives the school $65 per day, the school lost about $25 million. Many parents are now in a toss up with what to do with their kids. “There’s not instruction happening. Why the heck would I send my kids to daycare with hundreds and hundreds of kids? My kids would be safer at home with their parents. Frankly, my kids will learn more at home,” Mr. Krowne, a father of 4 kids that attend LAUSD, said. LA teachers have already set a proposal of a 6.5% raise, but LAUSD has not yet agreed on this. Negotiations, contracts, and agreements are still being worked through. As of Wednesday, January 23, teachers have returned to their classes. LAUSD has given teachers a 6% raise (divided into two years), has hired 300 nurses, 80 librarians and 1 counselor for every 500 students.