The Hunting Horn

Trump’s Decision: Is DACA Meeting its End or its Beginning?

LBC9 News Team

Mayzee Hsu, Opinion Editor

Immigration is a trending topic among many today, and is getting more controversial with talk of DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) being ended. DACA is an immigration policy created by President Obama in June 2012. This immigration policy protects minors who illegally immigrated to the States by giving them education, driver’s licenses, and other basic rights American citizens have. Approximately 800,000 US immigrants are part of DACA, and are commonly known as DREAMers. Though this act has only been around for 5 years, DACA has benefited many immigrants. DREAMers and many others are enraged over the fact that President Trump announced he would get rid of DACA.

The Trump Administration announced to end the program last Tuesday, September 5th. President Trump has given Congress six months to make a replacement for this program while he attempts to get rid of it. His reasons for such actions, as he explains are his concerns for “the millions of Americans victimized by this unfair system,” according to the New York Times. Attorney General Jeff Sessions agrees with President Trump, stating “the program denied hundreds of thousands of Americans by allowing those same illegal aliens to take those jobs.” Both Trump and Sessions used resentful language from others protesting illegal immigrants to prove their points.

Congress has been given 6 months to replace/”upgrade” DACA. While it seems the two houses both have the “upper hand” in this situation, it may be difficult for Congress to legalize DACA. In both the Senate and the House of Representatives, polarized parties are commonly found. With parties on completely different terms, the debate would reign longer and be hard to convince some to agree on the legalization of DACA, or even a compromise. Six months may seem as though it is a long enough period of time for Congress to decide on an items of such importance as DACA. Consider the fact that both houses have to agree on certain terms before the next four to five months before finalizing their decisions. At the same time, they are dealing with other issues which include other major conflicts such as aiding Hurricane Harvey/Irma victims, government funding, and much more while dealing with DACA. Many, like the DREAMers, hope for there to be a miracle in the finalization of DACA’s legalization, but will Congress be able to do it with all the other conflicts?

DREAMers are most definitely upset with President Trump’s decision. They have spent most of their lives bettering themselves in the United States. After hearing the news, many protests were done across America, from Los Angeles to New York to Washington D.C. Thousands of non-DREAMers and DREAMers gathered, and this quickly became viral. It is not known whether or not these protests will affect Congress’ decision, but only time would tell. As a non-DREAMer, I have mixed feelings about DACA. I support DACA for giving immigrants opportunities in the Land of Opportunities, but I fear some will take advantage of the “welfare programs” implemented into this program. I think it’s unjust to US citizens, who don’t get free college education and are paying taxes to see people getting benefits from DACA. At the same time, other countries do not do this for their immigrants, so my thoughts are that DACA is a great way to make America a better place. Instead of ending DACA, I would find ways to improve it, such as after 2 years of the “welfare program,” the government takes it away from immigrants to ensure no one uses it to their advantage. This method is also a great way to give immigrants a feel of a normal life in the States. and a push to self-reliance. This is only the start to a more complex and expanded plan the Congress needs to ultimately figure out. So, is this DACA’s end or beginning?

Mayzee Hsu, Editor-in-Chief

First & Second Semester Staffer