The Hunting Horn

Is DACA Good for America?

Yeong-Ung Yang

Yeong-Ung Yang

Erica Delos Santos, Staff Writer

DACA, or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, was established on June 15, 2012 by former President Barack Obama. They announced that immigrants who came to the United States as children could request consideration of deferred action for a duration of two years, subject to renewal. It also helped older teens become eligible for work authorization. Although there were several guidelines that had to be met, many immigrant children applied for the DACA program.

However, last week, President Trump cancelled the program. Was this a good decision? Will it help America? People in America all have different opinions that deserve to be heard, but personally, I think that DACA should not have been cancelled.

First, many people think DACA should be cancelled because they think it didn’t work. However, I completely disagree with this statement. Even with many setbacks and obstacles faced by those who were a part of the system, 800,000 young people have moved forward. Among those 800,000, 95% are currently working or in school, 63% got a better paying job, 54% were able to buy their first car, 48% found a job with better working conditions, and 12% bought their own house. These percentages show that DACA really has worked for so many young immigrants.

Also, many people are very against the DACA program for various reasons. Many believe DACA is unfair, and that President Obama did not have the authority to mess with the immigration law. However, President Obama recently made a Facebook post addressing the DACA situation, stating that it is “self-defeating and cruel” to end the DACA program.

“Whatever concerns or complaints Americans may have about immigration in general, we shouldn’t threaten the future of this group of young people who are here through no fault of their own, who pose no threat, who are not taking away anything from the rest of us,” President Obama wrote in his post. Many young immigrants did not come to America by choice, and they are not a threat to America or Americans.

He also stated, “These Dreamers are Americans in their hearts, in their minds, in every single way but one: on paper. They were brought to this country by their parents, sometimes even as infants. They may not know a country besides ours.” I completely agree with this statement. Many immigrants who are part of DACA grew up here in America, and many don’t even know they are undocumented until they apply for a job, apply to college, or a driver’s license. Many are surprised when they find out they are not documented or are American citizens, even when they’ve been living here for as long as they can remember.

Many people are judged, or looked down on, for being a member of the DACA program. Having or not having a piece of paper should not be a reason to judge someone. Being a DREAMer (member of the DACA program) does not determine a person’s personality, looks, or smartness. Being a DREAMer should not change someone’s appearance.

Illegal immigration can be a controversial topic. President Trump cancelling DACA has become a big situation in America and is causing lots of debate.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Is DACA Good for America?”

1. Nikole Yeganova on September 19th, 2017 9:52 am

Good Job Erica! Well done. 🙂

[Reply]

2. Michael "Amadeus" Wang on October 17th, 2017 10:46 am

I totally agree that DACA is actually not a bad idea

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Is DACA Good for America?

Opinion

School Uniforms Should Be Mandatory

• Is DACA Good for America?

Opinion

School Uniforms Should Not Be Mandatory

• Is DACA Good for America?

Opinion

Should Phones Be Allowed During School Hours? YES!

• Is DACA Good for America?

Opinion

Should Phones Be Allowed During School Hours? NO!

• Is DACA Good for America?

Opinion

School Should Start Later

• Is DACA Good for America?

Opinion

School Should Not Start Later

• Opinion

Should Grizzly Bears Come Off the Endangered Species List?

• Opinion

Speaker Ryan Does Not Seek Reelection

• Opinion

Chipotle Mexican Grill!

• Is DACA Good for America?

Opinion

Smart Watches — Do They Disrupt the School Day?

The student news site of Huntington Middle School
Is DACA Good for America?