The student news site of Huntington Middle School

The Hunting Horn

Looking Back — Fun Catalina Experience

Nikole Yeganova

Nikole Yeganova, Staff Writer

Camp Emerald Bay is an outdoor educational field trip in Catalina Island in which every year the 7th graders go for a weeklong of outdoor education and fun. Many students in the 8th grade said the trip was bad and that it would not be an exciting trip.  However, the 7th graders did not take that into consideration as we had a fun time and had life changing experiences.

There was a wide variety of food. Everyday we were fed three times a day. However, a student could get second servings if they wished. The food was good considering the environment and how it’s an island because products used on islands are coming across the sea.

The first water activity was snorkeling. Snorkeling is the practice of swimming on or through a body of water while equipped with a diving mask, a shaped breathing tube called a snorkel, and usually swimfins.

We also learned about birds in a lab.The goal of this lab was to identify and understand the most common Californian coastal birds. Students went kayaking as a activity along with the learning process.

Hiking to the beautiful Doctor’s Cove enriched students knowledge of species, plants and animals on the island. Students also learned about the Island’s history and geography.

More fun activities that benefited all Include kayaking, the candy store, campfire amphitheater, snorkeling, and surveyed swimming area.

In the plankton lab, students learned about plankton and eventually jumped of a boat with a PFD (personal floatation device) or life jackets.

The facilities included canvas tents ( Housing two people per tent on comfy cots), cabins (Housing eight people maximum), the dining hall which had a large deck area, and enclosed bathrooms with hot showers. “ I enjoyed snorkeling and kayaking,” Cosette Espino (7) said. “ Snorkeling and kayaking ended up being so much fun! Catalina was just as great as Wonder Valley,” Taline Nesnas (7) said. All in all, 7th grade students enjoyed Catalina and will remember the trip and experience for a lifetime.