The student news site of Huntington Middle School

The Hunting Horn

Catalina: Did Past Students Enjoy Their Trip? Should We Continue Going There?

Lexi Smith and Erica Delos Santos

Our principal, Mr. Kurtenbach, recently made a comment on one of our other stories, on the Hunting Horn’s website, about Catalina. “I think that it is interesting that many past students said it was not worth it. I’m wondering if students would like us to change the trip to something else?” Mr. Kurtenbach said. Many students have different opinions on this. The Hunting Horn Newspaper staff decided to pursue this topic.

Some students who went to Catalina did think it was very fun and do not think that it should be changed. Some of these students even thought it was better than Wonder Valley. One way or another, these students loved Catalina. “I thought that it was really fun, and a little better than Wonder Valley because we were given more freedom,” Katelyn Hansa (8) said. Kaetlyn is one of the students who enjoyed the trip and would like it to stay.

“I don’t think the seventh grade Catalina trip should be changed because it was a really good and fun way to learn about science and littering,” Hannah Hamawi (7) said. She believes Catalina taught students and was just a fun experience in all.

Joyce Leckband, a previous staff member at Carver Elementary, gave suggestions such as Idylwild Space Camp and a camp in Hermosa Beach in reply to Mr. Kurtenbach’s response. However, students appeared to like Catalina and say it should stay as the 7th grade trip.

Some reasons other students disliked Catalina because of the frequent bug infestations, including yellow jackets, ants, and overall being in a less high maintenance place. Also, others say they didn’t like the food, or that there weren’t enough activities.

A poll of 100 seventh graders shows majority, 64% says to keep the trip, and 36% want the trip to be changed. Out of the the five classes of seventh graders that were polled, most of them said they really liked the Catalina trip and that it should stay as the seventh grade trip.

Overall, most students think that the Catalina trip should not be changed because it was “a fun way to learn about science.”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Catalina: Did Past Students Enjoy Their Trip? Should We Continue Going There?”

1. Julian Ramos on October 12th, 2017 1:06 pm

I think it was worth it :).

[Reply]

2. Stanley Hung on October 13th, 2017 12:03 pm

Catalina sucked compared to Wonder Valley. Catalina should be in 6th grade so people have a lower expectation for the 7th grade trip.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Catalina: Did Past Students Enjoy Their Trip? Should We Continue Going There?

Community

Elon Musk Wants to Land Spaceships on Mars in 2024

Community

Mickey Yessaian’s Hot for Hope — First Annual Gala

Community

Terror on the Island

News

Bel Canto Choir Performs at US Citizenship Ceremony

• Student Life

ASB Kick-Off Assembly. Fun Times for All!

Opinion

Should there be Gun Control?

Opinion

Should there be Gun Control?

Community

Opinion

Professional Athletes Not Standing For National Anthem. Is This Ok?

Community