The Hunting Horn

Should there be Gun Control? Yes!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Should there be Gun Control? Yes!

Mayzee Hsu, Opinion Editor

I’m triggered! Gun control laws have been around for many decades, yet death rates are just increasing by the minute. Weapons, especially firearms, may bring harm—or protection, depending on the person owning it. Following the Las Vegas shooting, there are around 60 dead and 500 injured, and many are devastated by the fatality count during the incident. Known to be one of the deadliest massacres in US history, this unfortunate event caused many to rethink America’s gun control laws.

The second amendment states “… the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” This line means US citizens have the right to own guns and their right cannot be taken away. Gun control should be enforced because death rates would decrease and less citizens would abuse this amendment’s right. For example, more women were killed by gunpoint (*usually by a significant other) between 2001 and 2012 than US soldiers in the Middle East between 2001 and 2015 (6,410:5,364 ratio). Civilian deaths would decrease, such as Australia’s homicide deaths drop to 34 in 2014 compared to 98 people in 1996 once gun control was enforced.

Statistics also show firearms are less likely to be used in self defense and to stop crimes, with none of the 62 mass shootings between the years 1982 and 2012 stopped by an armed civilian, according to ProCon.org. “The Framer’s single-minded focus in crafting the constitutional guarantee ‘to keep and bear arms’ was on military use of firearms, which they viewed in the context of service in state militias,” Former Justice John Paul Stevens wrote. Stevens’s words means he believed the second amendment was made to protect militias’ rights to bear arms, not every individual citizen’s right. I don’t agree with John Paul Stevens’s views, but I understand his perspective on how gun control should be allowed to protect the nation by giving military and other such police forces rights to bear arms, not cause devastation through giving every citizen too much power.

My opinion is gun control should be allowed, and enforced harshly. Looking at the crimes of our country, people who use firearms and use them to cause harm will argue the second amendment protects their rights, though that is not the sole, true purpose of one of the bills of rights. I believe if enforced, crime rates will drop and less civilians will be harmed through homicides, massacres, murders, and suicides. With how easy it is to gain access to guns in the US, it also poses a harm to minors illegally buying firearms or having possession of one. If gun control is enforced, maybe one day our nation will have death counts drop significantly like in  Australia.

Mayzee Hsu, Editor-in-Chief

First & Second Semester Staffer