The Hunting Horn

Girls Varsity Volleyball: A Season’s Review

Maddie Kaufman

Maddie Kaufman, Senior Staff Writer

The girls varsity volleyball team had an amazing season this year. They went undefeated with wins over Jefferson, La Canada, Oak Ave, South Pasadena, Sierra Madre, and Dana Middle School. This winning team consisted of Conner Sund (8), Maddie Kaufman (8), Heidi Doerges (8), Katy Bell (8), Renee Rodriguez (8), Elaina Lee (8), Alyssa Duenas (8), Marissa Lee (8), Glenda Chen (8), Marlene Ketelaar (8), and Lauren Nguyen (6).  Since there was no gym this year, the team practiced and worked hard out on the grass, alongside the football teams. These girls overcame the challenge of playing with the wind and sun rather than inside a gym. “I really enjoyed this season and I’m glad my middle school volleyball years ended like this, but I hated playing outside,” Katy Bell (8) said. Coach Jackson Wong prepared the team to play these tough competitors and gave them encouraging talks before every game. The girls had a habit of struggling towards the ends of every game, which led them to lose a set to Dana, South Pasadena, and San Gabriel. However, they were determined to keep the winning streak going and finish the season strong. This has been the first undefeated season for the varsity team in over three years. The whole athletic program was impressed and very proud of the girls.

During the 210 league tournament the pool play games of the round robin were only to thirteen points, which increased to stress level of all of the girls. They lost the first set to San Gabriel, losing focus due to nerves, but fought hard to win every following set. La Canada was the opponent in the semi finals and the girls played the team with energy and great communication qualifying them for the finals. The Lady Foxes were excited and nervous for this championship game and lost the first set to South Pas. The girls then were pumped up, and loud going into the second set, creaming the competition 25-14. Captains Maddie Kaufman (8) and Katy Bell (8), won the coin toss, and the serve was awarded to Huntington. Coach Wong led the girls into the final set with these words,”be strong, be loud, and play the game you all know and love.” Cheers of Joy were apparent as Huntington was awarded the 210 League Championship plaque and medals. Conner Sund (8) and Lauren Nguyen (6) were recognized as two honorable mentions and received a medal. “ I was really excited to receive this award and it made me feel accomplished, ” Conner Sund(8) said.  Maddie Kaufman (8), was recognized as most valuable player of the tournament and received a plaque. Throughout the season, every girl stepped it up and overcame the challenges of learning new skills and positions. Overall, the 2017 girls varsity volleyball season was one for the record books!